Position: Assistant to the Executive Director
Reports to: Executive Director
The Mark Morris Dance Group seeks a responsible professional to serve as the Assistant to the Executive Director. This full-time position will manage the day-to-day operations and facilitate efficient execution of the Director’s activities and schedules. The Assistant will gain a comprehensive understanding of and experience within an arts institution that comprises a professional touring dance company and community-based dance center. The ideal candidate will be a motivated and energetic individual looking to learn and contribute to the field.
The Mark Morris Dance Group is committed to a diverse workforce and is stronger for the variety of perspectives, experiences, identities, and skills of our staff. The successful candidate will join a community of dedicated arts professionals who are propelled by Mark Morris’ commitment to artistic excellence, access to the arts and the impact that arts have in connecting and engaging communities. In our daily work, we are proactive, detail-oriented, and passionately interested in exceeding past success. We collectively strive to foster an environment where we are present, accountable, and supportive.
Provide all aspects of administrative support to the Executive Director including coordination of scheduling and logistics and the facilitation of relationships and communications internally within the organization and externally within the community while demonstrating the utmost professionalism and diplomacy in all interactions.
- Maintain Executive Director’s calendar and files; schedule and track meetings
- Draft, edit, proofread, and send correspondence and respond to inquiries
- Coordinate travel and logistics for commissions and other special projects associated with the Artistic Director
- Assist with preparation for staff and board meetings
- Conduct research and prepare background information and presentation materials for meetings and public events
- Provide assistance with various capital and community projects associated with the Dance Center
- Assist with planning and catering for various MMDG community and fundraising events as well as those related to the Downtown Brooklyn Arts Alliance
- Manage info@ email account, respond to inquiries and/or disseminate emails to appropriate staff members for response
- Perform assigned tasks and projects and demonstrate a willingness to pitch in wherever needed
- Some evening/weekend hours may be required for participation in company events and local performances
You are a great candidate for this job if you:
- Have excellent grammar, writing, proof reading, and editing skills
- Enjoy working independently as well as supporting a team
- Have demonstrated project management experience
- Exercise discretion and confidentiality with sensitive information
- Are proficient with MS Word, Outlook, Excel and Power Point
You will be successful in this role if you:
- Are organized, extremely detail orientated, focused, and have excellent skills in multi-tasking, time management, and creative problem solving
- Have strong communication and interpersonal skills with an assertive and diplomatic demeanor
- Demonstrate a high level of personal initiative, resourcefulness, and sound judgment
- Respond to last-minute changes in a quick, efficient, and forward-thinking manner
- Commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits package includes: Employee Health and Life insurance covered 100%, Flexible Spending Plan, Voluntary vision and dental coverage, Pre-tax Commuter benefit and 403(b) retirement plan
- Access to the Wellness Center (MMDG’s on-site exercise facility), free dance classes for you and your family (adults and kids), subsidized studio rental rates at the Dance Center
- Cover letter summarizing your relevant qualifications for this specific position. No generic statements please.
- Resume outlining your education and experience
- At least 1 (one) writing sample demonstrating your best writing skills, letter or essay
- Indicate Assistant to the Executive Director on the subject line of email
- Applications in electronic format preferred, and accepted at email@example.com
Housed in the Mark Morris Dance Center, in the heart of the Brooklyn Cultural District, the Mark Morris Dance Group works daily to pursue excellence in artistry and education. Founded in 1980 by Mark Morris, the company includes 18–20 dancers and numerous musicians (from solo artists to orchestras and choirs) performing selections from its 150+ repertory, 45 full-time staff, and more than 100 part-time staff and teaching artists, all committed to bringing the best in performance and education to people in NYC and tour cities. The Mark Morris Dance Center is also home to The School, a Studio Rental program and a Wellness Center. The Dance Center provides 160 weekly classes serving 1,800 children ages 18 months – 18 years. The Adult Program serves approximately 700 students per week through a variety of classes, workshops, master classes, and intensives. MMDG’s Community Education Programs serve the greater New York City area working with NYC Department of Education public and charter schools and community centers that serve NYC Housing Authority, seniors, and special needs populations among others.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status.