Position: Manager of Individual Giving
Reports to: Director of Development
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Housed in the Mark Morris Dance Center, in the heart of the Brooklyn Cultural District, the Mark Morris Dance Group works daily to pursue excellence in artistry and education. Founded in 1980 by Mark Morris, the company includes 18–20 dancers and numerous musicians (from solo artists to orchestras and choirs) performing selections from its 150+ repertory, 45 full-time staff, and more than 100 part-time staff and teaching artists, all committed to bringing the best in performance and education to people in NYC and tour cities.
As the Dance Group approaches its 40th anniversary in 2020, key investments in operations, capital and program expansion, and legacy planning are essential. As part of a 4-person development team, the Manager of Individual Giving plays a vital role in supporting these efforts by advancing the individual giving program – managing all aspects of cultivation, stewardship, and acquisition.
This position provides a unique opportunity for a strategic fundraiser to have a lasting impact on one of the world’s leading dance institutions at a pivotal moment in its history. The best candidate for this position brings a sincere dynamism to donor engagement, is eager to implement innovative strategies, and experienced in developing individual giving systems to increase donor engagement. The Manager of Individual Giving reports to the Director of Development, shares oversight of the Development Associate, and works as a peer to the Manager of Institutional Giving.
The Manager of Individual Giving also works closely with the 17-member Board, Executive Director, Artistic Director, Chief Financial Officer, Director of Marketing, and all program directors, to maximize relationships and grow contributed income.
The successful candidate will join a community of dedicated arts professionals who are propelled by Mark Morris’ commitment to artistic excellence and access to the arts and the impact that arts have in connecting and engaging communities. In our daily work, we are proactive, detail-oriented, and passionately interested in exceeding past success. We collectively strive to foster an environment where we are present, accountable, and supportive.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Managing a growing portfolio of 1,600 individual donors providing $2 million in individual contributions each year, including:
- Running and analyzing monthly, quarterly, and annual reports to proactively develop and implement strategies for new and renewed support
- Meeting regularly with supporters
- Ensuring prompt and personalized donation acknowledgement and stewardship
- Managing performance and event invitations, RSVPs and VIP ticket orders
Managing donor communications:
- Drafting renewal notices, acquisition proposals and acknowledgements
- Collaborating with marketing department on monthly newsletters, event announcements and annual report
- Designing, implementing, and managing a new prospects pipeline system to grow individual giving from $2 million to $3 million annually by 2021
- Advising and contributing to strategies for the public phase of a $25 million campaign
Overseeing the work of the Development Associate:
- Reviewing weekly gift and pledge reports to ensure gifts are recorded accurately and that adjustments are made promptly
- Ensuring timely reconciliation with finance department
- Ensuring appropriate personalization of communications, advising on templates and copy adjustments
- Overseeing timely mailout of membership benefits
- Supporting event planning for pre- and post-show events, including a 40th anniversary
- Representing the Mark Morris Dance Group at events
You are a great candidate for this job if you:
- Are excited about and experienced with significantly growing contributions from individuals
- Have successfully solicited four, five, and/or six-figure gifts from individuals
- Have experience with direct mail, tele-fund, planned giving, and digital fundraising
- Have a track record of meeting or exceeding income goals and transforming active major prospects into strong advocates and supporters
- Easily balance meeting deadlines with jumping in to explore time-sensitive funding opportunities
- Love Mark Morris’ work and our programs!
You will be successful in this role if you:
- Are highly motivated
- Enjoy meeting new people; are comfortable turning a room full of strangers into friends
- Love systems; setting up clear and transparent processes for improved workflow
- Enjoy direct communication; regularly give and receive constructive criticism
- Are proficient with office technology: Raiser’s Edge, Ovation Tickets, Slack, Outlook, Asana
- Are calm under pressure
- Enjoy work that sometimes extends to evenings, weekends, or out of town venues
Compensation and Benefits:
- Commensurate with experience
- Benefits package includes: Employee Health and Life insurance covered 100%, Flexible Spending Plan, voluntary vision and dental coverage, Pre-tax Commuter benefit and 403(b) retirement plan
- Access to the Wellness Center, free dance classes (adults and kids), and subsidized studio rental rates at the Dance Center
Cover letter indicating salary requirement and three professional references
- References will not be contacted without your prior consent
- Applications without a salary requirement will not be considered
- Indicate Manager of Individual Giving on the subject line of email
- Applications in electronic format accepted at email@example.com
- NO PHONE CALLS
Discalced, Inc is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.