Position: Finance Assistant / Bookkeeper
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION:The Mark Morris Dance Group (MMDG) is seeking a Finance Assistant whose primary responsibilities are to serve as the bookkeeper for all on-site Dance Center activities including The School, The Store, Studio Rentals, and a Wellness Center as well as the Dance for PD program. This full-time hands-on position plays an integral role as part of a Finance/HR team of five, including the CFO, Controller, Finance Manager, and Payroll Manager/Benefits Administrator. The Finance Assistant will gain a comprehensive understanding of the role of the Finance and HR departments in a performing arts institution that comprises a professional touring dance company and community-based dance center. The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented individual with strong accounting skills looking to learn and contribute to the field.
The Mark Morris Dance Group is committed to a diverse workforce and is stronger for the variety of perspectives, experiences, identities, and skills of our staff. A successful candidate will join a community of dedicated arts and administrative professionals who are propelled by Mark Morris’ commitment to artistic excellence, access to the arts, and the impact that arts have in connecting and engaging communities. In our daily work, we are proactive, detail-oriented, and passionately interested in exceeding past success. We collectively strive to foster an environment where we are present, accountable, and supportive.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepare and process weekly cash deposit for The School (Adult and Children’s programs)
- Reconcile payments from 3rd party payers – ClassPass, MoveUSA, KidsPass and Harkness Center
- Prepare and process weekly cash deposit for Studio Rental program
- Reconcile daily credit card batches and post payments received from The School, The Store, Dance for PD and other MMDG programs
- Assist Rental Programs Manager with monthly Studio Rental reconciliation
- Process and reconcile Gift Certificate and Class Card purchases and donations
- Generate weekly journal entries for School and Rental activities
- Reconcile monthly merchant services statements (Amex, MC/Visa)
- Generate monthly journal entries for expense category recodes to departments
- Support Controller and Finance Manager as needed
- Prepare and process weekly deposit for online Store and off-site sales
- Process purchase orders, receivers, inventory adjustments, and interfacing with accounting software
- Conduct bi-annual inventory physical count in conjunction with the Marketing Department
- Manage income reporting for Education and Community Programs and Dance Center activities to program managers and finance team.
Additional duties include: attending weekly Finance and Education department meetings, assisting with annual Audit preparation, general filling and scanning documents in support of the Finance Manager and Payroll Manager/Benefits Administrator.You are a great candidate for this job if you:
- Have 1-2 years of accounting experience particularly working in the general ledger
- Have an undergraduate degree in accounting
- Are exceptionally organized and have an acute attention to detail
- Enjoy problem solving and value accuracy
- Are proficient with MS Office Suite and have excellent Excel skills
You will be successful in this role if you:
- Enjoy identifying new and creative ways of working that improve productivity and add value to the organization
- Work well with others towards common purposes to achieve shared goals by developing and maintaining responsive, cooperative and mutually beneficial internal and external relationships
- Are able to balance working independently with minimum supervision with seeking out advice from peers and senior staff
- Have experience in Blackbaud Financial Edge, Counterpoint POS, Mind Body POS, and Eventbrite
- Commensurate with experience
- Benefits package includes: Employee Health and Life insurance covered 100%, Flexible Spending Plan, voluntary vision and dental coverage, Pre-tax Commuter benefit and 403(b) retirement plan
- Access to the Wellness Center, free dance classes (adults and kids) and subsidized studio rental rates at the Dance Center
- Cover letter summarizing your relevant qualifications for this specific position, salary requirement, and three professional references. References will not be contacted without your prior consent.
- Applications without a salary requirement will not be considered.
- Indicate Finance Assistant on the subject line of email
- Applications in electronic format accepted at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status.
Founded in 1980, the Mark Morris Dance Group is a 19-member dance company headquartered at the Mark Morris Dance Center in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. The Mark Morris Dance Center, opened in September 2001, is home to the Mark Morris Dance Group, The School, a Studio Rental program and a Wellness Center. The Dance Center provides 160 weekly classes serving 1,800 children ages 18 months – 18 years. The Adult Program serves approximately 700 students per week through a variety of classes, workshops, master classes, and intensives. MMDG’s Community Education Programs serve the greater New York City area working with NYC Department of Education public and charter schools and community centers that serve NYC Housing Authority, seniors, and special needs populations among others.
The internationally-renowned Mark Morris Dance Group (MMDG) has received “highest praise for their technical aplomb, their musicality, and their sheer human authenticity.” (Bloomberg News). The Dance Group performs the repertory of choreographer Mark Morris, hailed as the “the most successful and influential choreographer alive, and indisputably the most musical” (The New York Times), whose work is acclaimed for its ingenuity, musicality, wit, and humanity. Live music and community engagement are vital components of the Dance Group. It has toured with its own musicians, the MMDG Music Ensemble, since 1996, and regularly collaborates with orchestras and opera companies around the world.