Position: Finance Associate / Bookkeeper
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Founded in 1980, the Mark Morris Dance Group is an 18-member dance company headquartered at the Mark Morris Dance Center in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. The Mark Morris Dance Center, opened in September 2001, is home to the Mark Morris Dance Group, The School, a Studio Rental program and a Wellness Center. The Dance Center provides 160 weekly classes serving 1,800 children ages 18 months – 18 years. The Adult Program serves approximately 700 students per week through a variety of classes, workshops, master classes, and intensives.
This is a full-time 40 hours per week position. The Finance Associate/Bursar serves as the primary bookkeeper for all off-site Education and Community programs as well as on-site Dance Center activities including The School, The Store and Studio Rental program. The ideal candidate will have a comprehensive understanding of accounting principles, experience with school registration, and an interest in supporting the work of our Education programs. This position works very closely with the Finance Manager and 5-person Education Department.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Accounts Receivable
- Prepare and process weekly cash deposit for The School (Adult and Children’s programs)
- Process semester installments and manage payment plans for The School
- Reconcile payments from 3rd party payers – ClassPass, MoveUSA, KidsPass and Harkness Center
- Manage all invoicing and income tracking for Community Education Programs
- Prepare and process weekly cash deposit for Studio Rental program
- Reconcile daily credit card batches and post payments received from The School, The Store, Dance for PD and other MMDG programs
- Assist Rental Programs Manager with monthly Studio Rental reconciliation
- Process and reconcile Gift Certificate and Class Card purchases and donations.
- Generate weekly journal entries for School and Rental activities
- Maintain accurate coding to correspond with class and program changes
- Reconcile monthly merchant services statements (Amex, MC/Visa)
- Prepare and process weekly deposit for online Store and occasional off-site sales
- Process purchase orders, receivers, inventory adjustments, and interfacing with accounting software
- Conduct bi-annual inventory physical count
Additional duties include: attending weekly Finance and Education department meetings, assisting with annual Audit preparation and maintaining backend POS database which interfaces with accounting softwareQualifications:
- Accuracy and attention to detail is vital
- Exceptional organization and and problem-solving skills
- 1-3 years Accounting experience
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, excellent Excel skills
- Knowledge of Blackbaud Financial Edge, Counterpoint POS, Mind Body a plus
- Commensurate with experience
- Benefits package includes: Employee Health and Life insurance covered 100%, Flexible Spending Plan, voluntary vision and dental coverage, Pre-tax Commuter benefit and 403(b) retirement plan
- Access to the Wellness Center, free dance classes (adults and kids) and subsidized studio rental rates at the Dance Center
- Resume outlining your education and experience
- Cover letter summarizing your relevant qualifications for this specific position, salary requirement, and three professional references. References will not be contacted without your prior consent.
- Applications without a salary requirement will not be considered.
- Indicate Finance Associate/Bursar on the subject line of email
Applications in electronic format accepted at email@example.com
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status.