Position: General Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Founded in 1980, the Mark Morris Dance Group is an 18-member dance company headquartered at the Mark Morris Dance Center in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. The company has tour engagements domestically and internationally throughout the year and tours with live music.
This is a full-time, 40 hour per week position and includes occasional travel. The General Manager serves as the primary point of contact with Dance Group presenting partners and contracted artistic and technical tour personnel. This position works very closely with the Executive Director and Booking Agents on all aspects of tour programming.
Produce all public performances, domestically and internationally, for 20-30 week season
- Oversee planning, scheduling, and coordination between presenting partners for collaborative productions (opera, orchestral, touring residencies)
- Coordinate Access/MMDG outreach activities that enrich, educate, and serve our Presenting Partners’ communities
- Settle final contract terms for secured engagements through Booking Agent and/or Executive Director
- Negotiate fees and contract terms for designers, guest artists, conductors, chamber musicians, vocalists, production staff, and supernumeraries
- Administer union agreements (local 829) and be responsible for the timely filing of contracts and payments with appropriate representative
- Supervise Company Manager position
- Oversee tour budgets with Chief Financial Officer in collaboration with Company Manager
- Create technical and staging schedules for all performances and productions in consultation with Technical Director and Rehearsal Director
- Convene monthly meetings to coordinate engagement related outreach/education activities, special projects, and marketing efforts
- Arrange grand performance licenses and negotiate music rights, royalties, and fees
- Oversee house seat holds, reservations, and purchases for all public performances; coordinate VIP/patron ticketing and seating with Director of Development
- Additional duties, responsibilities and special projects as assigned by Executive Director
- Previous general management or company management experience required
- Working knowledge of technical aspects of dance and theater productions
- Bachelor degree required
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills
- Well organized and detail-oriented
- Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to act with diplomacy
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities effectively
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience negotiating and issuing contracts
- Appreciation for the arts, familiarity with music is a plus.
- Enjoy working in a high energy, community-based environment
Benefits and Compensation:
- Commensurate with experience
- Benefits package includes: Health and Life insurance paid 100%, Flexible Spending Plan, voluntary dental and vision coverage, and 403(b) retirement plan, Pre-tax MTA Transit Check
- Free dance classes and subsidized studio rental rates at the Dance Center
Please provide the following as part of your application:
- Complete resume, including salary history and salary requirements.
- Summarize your relevant qualifications for this specific position. No generic statements please.
- Indicate General Manager on the subject line of email or in body of cover letter
- Applications in electronic format accepted at email@example.com
Discalced, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. All Discalced, Inc. employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation or preference, military status, religion, disability, marital status, citizenship, or any other category protected by law.