Position: Dance for PD Intern
Applications are no longer being reviewed for our Spring 2019 term.
Dance for PD is a program administered by the Mark Morris Dance Group that offers free weekly dance classes for people with Parkinson’s disease and their caregivers, families, and friends. Participants report that Dance for PD classes help them to overcome physical challenges, improve their mood, and provide a social outlet that improves their quality of life.
Founded in 2001, the program is operated as an active partnership between the Mark Morris Dance Group and the Brooklyn Parkinson Group. The flagship program is located at the Mark Morris Dance Center in Brooklyn, New York, and all classes at this location are accompanied by live music. These classes, which integrate ballet, modern, folk and tap dance and Mark Morris repertory, serve as a model for affiliated classes that have been replicated in more than 40 communities internationally. Dance for PD founding teachers and administrators lead regular training and professional development sessions so that dance professionals and PD groups in other communities can launch and sustain classes based on the Brooklyn model.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Focus on the Mark Morris Dance Group's acclaimed dance program for persons with Parkinson's disease
- Facilitate operations for satellite flagship classes in Manhattan, Queens, and the Bronx
- Support participant arrival and departure process, including attendance tracking
- Offer patient and friendly customer service related to Dance for PD classes and teacher training programs
- Fulfill merchandise orders and shipping requests of program materials
- Assist with database management, online resource development, and research
- Provide administrative support to Program Director and Program Coordinator
The following is required as part of your application submission
- Resume including education and work experience
- Cover letter detailing what you would like to gain from your internship and how you would contribute to the efforts of MMDG / Dance for PD
- One recommendation letter and three references (no family members please)
Indicate Internship-Dance for PD on the subject line of email and body of cover letter
- Clearly title each attachment: Full Name – Document ie. ‘Mark Morris – Letter of Reference’
- Applications in electronic format preferred, and accepted at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status.
Due to the number of applicants we cannot respond to everyone. You will receive a confirmation email of your application being received. You will be contacted if we are interested in your application.