Position: Marketing & Communications Associate
The Mark Morris Dance Group’s Marketing Department seeks a creative individual with top-notch writing and communication skills, a passion for dance and music, a love of story-telling and working with a team, and a fastidious eye for detail. The department serves the full organization, encompassing the touring Dance Group, Dance Center, and School and will be an integral part of nurturing a patron-centric institutional culture as we prepare for audience development initiatives and celebrate the completion of a multi-year fundraising campaign and the company’s 40th anniversary in 2020. Reporting to the Marketing Director, this is a full-time 40-hour per week position.
The successful candidate will join a community of dedicated arts professionals who are propelled by Mark Morris’ commitment to artistic excellence and access to the arts and the impact that arts have in connecting and engaging communities. In our daily work, we are proactive, detail-oriented, and passionately interested in exceeding past success. We collectively strive to foster an environment where we are present, accountable, and supportive.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Liaise with presenters’ PR department or publicist for each engagement - including coordinating interview schedules for Mark Morris, dancers, and musicians; generate pitch ideas
- Keep organization’s main press kit updated and create individual press kits as needed for engagements, press initiatives, or events
- Maintain Dropbox of marketing and press materials for presenters and press
- Track and oversee the filing and distribution of press articles; generate press reports for Executive Management and Senior Staff
- Work with marketing director and external publicist on PR strategy and coordinate the creation, review, and distribution of press releases
- Manage distribution list of local press outlets - create content for press listings for self-presented Dance Group and Dance Center events, coordinate and manage listings
- Work with Web & Social Media Manager to develop messaging and content for organization and presenter use.
- Develop and maintain relationships with influencers both in and out of dance/performing arts to build the Mark Morris brand
- Manage Mark Morris Dance Group blog – plan content to meet marketing goals for organization, write posts, coordinate guest writers, maintain publication calendar
- Oversee email marketing, including writing content, maintaining planning calendar, and analyzing results of campaigns
- Assist with maintenance of internal marketing communications calendar.
- Assist with special projects - photo exhibits, Dance Center events, experiential marketing campaigns, etc.
- 2-3 years’ experience in marketing and/or PR, preferably in the cultural sector
- An understanding of marketing and public relations principles
- Proficiency in at least Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat
- Proficiency with email marketing software, such as Mailchimp, Constant Contact, or other
- Familiarity with press software, such as Cision or Meltwater
- An aesthetic eye and superb communication, writing, and proofing skills
- Self-driven; able to multitask and meet deadlines
- Experience with a performing arts organization and/or a background in or love of dance is a plus
- Availability to work some late nights and weekends as needed
Compensation and Benefits:
- Commensurate with experience
- Benefits package includes: Employee Health and Life insurance covered 100%, Flexible Spending Plan, Voluntary vision and dental coverage, Pre-tax Commuter benefit and 403(b) retirement plans
- Access to the Wellness Center (MMDG’s on-site exercise facility), free dance classes for you and your family (adults and kids), subsidized studio rental rates at the Dance Center
- Resume outlining your education and experience
- Writing sample – press release, pitch, blog post, etc.
Cover letter including salary requirement and three professional references
- References will not be contacted without your prior consent
- Applications without a salary requirement may not be considered
- Indicate Marketing and Communications Associate on the subject line of email
- Applications in electronic format accepted at firstname.lastname@example.org
Discalced, Inc is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Housed in the Mark Morris Dance Center, in the heart of the Brooklyn Cultural District, the Mark Morris Dance Group works daily to pursue excellence in artistry and education. Founded in 1980 by Mark Morris, the company includes 18–20 dancers and numerous musicians (from solo artists to orchestras and choirs) performing selections from its 150+ repertory, 45 full-time staff, and more than 100 part-time staff and teaching artists, all committed to bringing the best in performance and education to people in NYC and tour cities. The Mark Morris Dance Center is also home to The School, a Studio Rental program and a Wellness Center. The Dance Center provides 160 weekly classes serving 1,800 children ages 18 months – 18 years. The Adult Program serves approximately 700 students per week through a variety of classes, workshops, master classes, and intensives. MMDG’s Community Education Programs serve the greater New York City area working with NYC Department of Education public and charter schools and community centers that serve NYC Housing Authority, seniors, and special needs populations among others.