Position: Facilities Coordinator
Reports to: Facility Manager
Founded in 1980, the Mark Morris Dance Group is a 20-member dance company headquartered at the Mark Morris Dance Center located in the Downtown Brooklyn Cultural District in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. Opened in September 2001, the Dance Center is home to the Mark Morris Dance Group, a thriving School, Studio Rental program and Wellness Center. The Dance Center is a bustling community-oriented space that serves over 4,000 people per week operating more than 12 hours a day. In the next 6 months, the Mark Morris Dance Center will be providing greater access to all its programs with the addition of 3 new studios. The Assistant Facility Manager role is a new position created to support dance center operations in anticipation of this studio expansion and expanded programming.
This full-time position reports to the Facility Manager and shares oversight of a 4-member Facilities Team. The Assistant Facility Manager also works closely with the Operations Manager and all program directors to ensure that Dance Center operations run smoothly and with the highest standards of facilities care and management.
The ideal candidate will have strong supervisory skills, excellent team leadership and a basic knowledge of facilities and custodial duties, including HVAC, electrical, plumbing, cleaning chemical management and safety & security. The successful candidate will join a community of dedicated arts professionals who are propelled by Mark Morris’ commitment to artistic excellence and access to the arts and the impact that arts have in connecting and engaging communities. In our daily work, we are proactive, detail-oriented, and passionately interested in exceeding past success. We collectively strive to foster an environment where we are present, accountable, and supportive.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Assume the Facilities Manager duties and responsibilities in the absence of the Facilities Manager
- Assist with implementing facility policies and procedures
- Assist with compliance monitoring and record keeping for all building systems including but not limited to HVAC, boiler, elevator, plumbing, lighting, Department of Buildings and FDNY permits, inspections and violations
- Collaborate with Operations team on projects and problem solve as necessary
Building Maintenance – In conjunction with Facility Manager:
- Manage daily facilities inspections to identify, monitor and track new and ongoing issues throughout the Dance Center; assign tasks and perform as needed
- Supervise reconfiguration of building spaces including offices, storage, and studios
- Assist with the care and maintenance of the facilities mechanical systems (HVAC, plumbing, electrical, fire alarm, etc.) and public, office, and storage areas
- Manage the purchasing and inventory control of building cleaning and maintenance supplies
- Ensure Facility Team is set up for success and that they have the resources, information, tools and uniforms required to succeed
- Perform cleaning and maintenance tasks when necessary
- Maintain awareness of emergency operating procedures and act on such situations if other management is unavailable
- Maintain security systems and procedures and enforce them through day to day coordination with the front desk and administrative staff
- Participate in the development and monitoring of safety activities as appropriate
- Serve as Building Safety Engineer when needed
- Manage and schedule all day and evening part-time facilities staff (4ppl)
- Ensure efficient day-to-day operations of the facilities team including delegating tasks, assessing task completion and providing effective feedback
- Create a positive environment that encourages staff to complete assigned tasks efficiently, effectively, and with a focused attention to detail
- Assist with the exploration and implementation of new training, certifications, and professional development opportunities for staff
- Work with Facility Manager to document day-to-day personnel issues and support constructive conflict resolution
- 3+ years of supervisory experience in Facilities/Building Management
- Knowledge of carpentry, electrical, plumbing, painting, and floor maintenance
- Knowledge of cleaning chemicals and supplies and familiarity with Material Safety Data Sheets
- Ability to foster teamwork
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Experience working with HVAC Building Management Systems
- Possess/acquire all fire department certifications necessary to the building operation
- Able to understand and follow written and oral instructions in English. Spanish a plus.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, hold, and/or carry objects and equipment weighing 25-50 lbs. on a frequent basis. Must be able to climb stairs. Must be able to stand for up to 4 hours at a time on a frequent basis. Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl frequently throughout the day.
- Regular schedule will be Tuesday thru Friday 3 pm to 11 pm & Saturdays 12 pm to 8 pm.
- Flexibility to cover open shifts and work extended hours for events is required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Annual Salary: $35,000 – $45,000
- Paid vacation, sick/personal leave, holidays
- Comprehensive benefits package includes: Employee Health and Life insurance covered 100%, Flexible Spending Plan, Voluntary vision and dental coverage, Pre-tax Commuter benefit and 403(b) retirement plan
- Access to the Wellness Center (MMDG’s on-site exercise facility), free dance classes for you and your family (adults and kids), subsidized studio rental rates at the Dance Center
- Résumé and cover letter outlining your professional experience
- Indicate Assistant Facility Manager on the subject line of email
- Applications in electronic format accepted at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Incomplete submissions will not be considered. No calls please.
Discalced, Inc is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Housed in the Mark Morris Dance Center, in the heart of the Brooklyn Cultural District, the Mark Morris Dance Group works daily to pursue excellence in artistry and education. Founded in 1980 by Mark Morris, the company includes 18–20 dancers and numerous musicians (from solo artists to orchestras and choirs) performing selections from its 150+ repertory, 45 full-time staff, and more than 100 part-time staff and teaching artists, all committed to bringing the best in performance and education to people in NYC and tour cities. The Mark Morris Dance Center is also home to The School, a Studio Rental program and a Wellness Center. The Dance Center provides 160 weekly classes serving 1,800 children ages 18 months – 18 years. The Adult Program serves approximately 700 students per week through a variety of classes, workshops, master classes, and intensives. MMDG’s Community Education Programs serve the greater New York City area working with NYC Department of Education public and charter schools and community centers that serve NYC Housing Authority, seniors, and special needs populations among others.