Position: Dance Center Faculty / Teaching Artist
Reports to: School Director
The Dance Center accepts applications for teaching artists on an ongoing basis to fill programming as needed. If interested, please submit your application through the link below.
The Mark Morris Dance Group believes that access to the arts is essential to everyone. The Dance Center is a place for all members of the community to gather to create, learn, and perform. It has become a major NYC cultural center offering a wide range of education and community programs all with live musical accompaniment-- reflecting the spirit of MMDG in its celebration of music and dance. The Dance Center is always seeking qualified and versatile teachers and substitute teachers for our various programs. Opportunities are available to teach:
- Children and teens
- Community Arts-in-Education
- Adult classes
We are looking for dedicated teachers specializing in various genres. Ideal genres include, but are not limited to, ballet, modern, jazz, hip-hop, breakdancing, tap, styles of the African Diaspora, creative dance, music & singing, Parent & Toddler Movement classes, boys dance, and Special Needs Dance. We are open to other teaching styles as well. To better reflect the community we serve, we strive for diversity in our teaching staff.
- Degree in dance preferred but not required
- At least 2 years of dance teaching experience within a diverse age group and educational settings
- Experience working with a live musician/accompanist and recorded music
- Exceptional knowledge of content in the genre of dance
- Strong communication skills
- The ideal candidate is someone who has a passion for dance education and is able to commit to the duration of a program while maintaining a consistent schedule
- Priority will be given to candidates whose career focus is dance education
- Discounts to classes, workshops, and intensives
- Access to subsidized studio space (subject to availability)
- Professional development opportunities throughout the year
- Discount to dancewear at The Store
- Access to special events and MMDG performances (when available)
- Commesurate with experience
Please provide with your application:
- Cover letter, resume, headshot, and sample lesson plan/class description
- The Education Department will contact you should a position become available.
- NO PHONE CALLS
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status.