Founded in 2001, the Mark Morris Dance Center serves as the home of the Mark Morris Dance Group and a cultural hub for the Brooklyn community. It offers:
- 8 fully-equipped, column-free dance studios
- 1 dedicated studio for streaming
- 2 locker rooms with lockers and restrooms (1 of which has showers)
- A Wellness Center with space and equipment for work with partnering health practitioners, pilates instructors and personal trainers.
All studios and ancillary spaces are available to rent for dance rehearsals and events.
The Dance Center offers a diverse range of dance and fitness classes for adults, novice to professional; as well as culturally responsive, inclusive, and non-gendered Youth & Family programs for students of all levels, with and without disabilities, ages 18 months to 18 years that include The School and work with community-based partners. The Dance Center is the flagship site for the internationally-acclaimed, research-backed dance classes for people with Parkinson’s, Dance for PD.
Accessing the Dance Center
Located in the heart of the Brooklyn Cultural District, the Dance Center can easily be reached by public transportation and private vehicles. See the Directions tab at the top of the page for additional details. The main entrance to the Dance Center is at 3 Lafayette Ave.
Bike racks are located on the sidewalk directly in front of the Dance Center.
The use of lockers for day-of personal item storage is encouraged. Lockers are available on the 1st and 4th floors. Visitors should bring their own lock to use the lockers.
Pre-registration is recommended for all on-site activities.
To ensure a safe environment, surveillance cameras and lights are located at both our front entrance on Lafayette Avenue and our side exit on Rockwell Place. Access to the Dance Center is controlled by unlocking the interior doors only after an individual has checked in. Front facing staff trained in fire safety and emergency procedures are available to field questions and assist with an emergency during all operating hours.
Our Commitment to Accessibility
We value all members of our community and are committed to providing an accessible and inclusive culture and environment for learning, creating, and sharing that celebrates our differences. We aim to reduce barriers for participation by providing the necessary resources, accommodations, and support to ensure a positive experience.
The Dance Center is an accessible venue that includes ramps, an elevator, and bathrooms on all floors. If you require a more specific accessibility accommodation, please call the Dance Center at 718-624-8400 or email email@example.com for assistance.
- The facility includes ramps, an elevator, and bathrooms on all floors.
- Both sets of front doors to the Dance Center are automated.
- Braille is included on the buttons within the elevator and on each floor.
- The Center is wheelchair accessible with all-gender, single-stall restrooms equipped with changing tables available on the 1st and 4th floors.
- There are private all gender changing rooms in the back of the ground floor.
- The 4th floor terrace is not wheelchair accessible.
- Certified Service Animals are welcome. Pets are not permitted at the Dance Center.
- The Dance Center does not have public Wi-Fi but does provide Wi-Fi access within the studio upon request.
- Studio accessibility
- Visitors can access all studios by elevator. All studios have ramps to the entrance of the studio.
- Studio F (basement level studio) is accessible by stairs or elevator, but elevator access requires an escort via a private section of the basement.
- There are LED lights in Studios E and F. All other studios use fluorescent lighting.
- The door to Studio E is automated.
2, 3, 4, 5, trains to Nevins St.
B, Q trains to Atlantic Avenue
C train to Lafayette Avenue
A train to Hoyt-Schermerhorn
G train to Fulton St.
D, N, R, 2, 3, 4, 5 trains to Pacific/Atlantic Terminal
B41, B45, or B67 bus to Atlantic Terminal
B38 to Long Island University
B52 to Fulton Street and Flatbush Ave.
LIRR to Atlantic Terminal
from Long Island/Queens
From Long Island, take I495 WEST (L.I.E.) to I-278 West/Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (B.QE.). From there (and from Queens) take the I278/BQE to Exit 29, Tillary Street. Take Tillary Street to Flatbush Avenue, Left onto Flatbush Avenue. Left onto Lafayette. The Mark Morris Dance Center is immediately on your left.
from New Jersey/Staten Island
From the Verrazano Bridge merge into I-278 East/Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. On I-278/BQE take Exit 27, Atlantic Avenue. Proceed east on Atlantic and turn left at Boerum Place. Turn right at Livingston Street. Livingston Street ends at Flatbush Avenue Extension. Turn right onto Flatbush Avenue Ext. Make the next left onto Lafayette Avenue. The Dance Center is immediately on your left.
via Manhattan Bridge
Continue straight off the Bridge onto Flatbush Avenue Extension. Make a left onto Lafayette Avenue. The Dance Center is immediately on your left.
via Brooklyn Bridge
Make left at end of bridge onto Tillary Street. From Tillary Street turn right onto Flatbush Avenue, from Flatbush make a left onto Lafayette Avenue. The Dance Center is immediately on your left.
The following garages are available for parking:
66 Rockwell Place
286 Ashland Pl
625 Atlantic Ave. (Enter at: 174 Ft. Greene Place)
556 State Street
276 Livingston Street
The Dance Center will be closed for on the following days:
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day – Monday, January 16, 2023
- Saturday before Memorial Day – Saturday, May 27, 2023
- Memorial Day (adjusted hours) – Monday, May 29, 2023 | Dance Center will be open 10am-2pm
- Juneteenth – Monday, June 19, 2023
- Independence Day – Tuesday, July 4, 2023
- Saturday before Labor Day – Saturday, September 2, 2023
- Labor Day – Monday, September 4, 2023
- Indigenous Peoples’ Day – Monday, October 9, 2023
- Thanksgiving Break – Thursday November 23 – Saturday November 25, 2023
- Winter Break – Saturday December 23, 2023 – Monday, January 1, 2024
General Contact – email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact The School (Children and Teens Programs) – email email@example.com.
Contact Adult Programs – email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Community Education Programs – email email@example.com
Contact Rentals – email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Call us at 718.624.8400
Learn More about Volunteer and Job Opportunities >
Connect with us on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.
Feedback from our visitors about their Dance Center experience is always appreciated. If you would like to tell us about your experience, please fill out our Visitor Experience Feedback Form.
Request a donation
The Mark Morris Dance Group supports local schools and nonprofits with in-kind donations of classes or other items for auctions or fundraising benefits. Please complete our short questionnaire so we can best support your request.
Lost and Found
Personal items left unclaimed will be discarded or placed in Lost & Found at the end of each day. Visit the Front Desk to inquire about lost items. Items left for more than 30 days will be donated.