Welcome to the Dance Center!
We value all members of our community and are committed to providing an accessible and inclusive culture and environment for learning, creating, and sharing that celebrates our differences. We aim to reduce barriers for participation by providing the necessary resources, accommodations, and support to ensure a positive experience. Find more information about accessibility at the Dance Center here.
Mark Morris Dance Center
Founded in 2001, the Mark Morris Dance Center serves as the home of the Mark Morris Dance Group and a cultural hub for the Brooklyn community. It offers nine fully equipped, column-free dance studios, two locker rooms with lockers and restrooms (one with showers), a Wellness Center with space and equipment for work with partnering health practitioners, Pilates instructors and personal trainers. All studios and ancillary spaces are available to rent for a wide range of uses, including rehearsals and events.
The Dance Center offers a diverse range of dance and fitness classes for adults, novice to professional; as well as culturally responsive, inclusive, and non-gendered Youth & Family programs for students of all levels, with and without disabilities, ages 18 months to 18 years that include The School and work with community-based partners. The Dance Center is the flagship site for the internationally-acclaimed, research-backed dance classes for people with Parkinson’s, Dance for PD.
Accessing the Dance Center
Located in the heart of the Brooklyn Cultural District, the Dance Center can easily be reached by public transportation and private vehicles. See the Directions tab at the top of the page for additional details.
The main entrance to the Dance Center is at 3 Lafayette Ave.
Bike racks are located on the sidewalk directly in front of the Dance Center.
At the Mark Morris Dance Center, visitors of all ages, with and without disabilities, share space and resources. To ensure all staff and guests have a positive and safe experience, we expect everyone to use shared resources and equipment respectfully and safely and to be considerate of each other as we share this space. Our community plays an important role in our ability to maintain this commitment. We will all work together to activate the following expectations in our space.
- Pre-registrationis recommended for all on-site activities.
- The use of lockersfor day-of personal item storage is encouraged. Lockers are available on the 1st and 4th floors. Visitors should bring their own lock to use the lockers. Overnight locker storage is prohibited.
- Children ages 10 and under must be accompanied by a caregiver/guardian within the Dance Center.
- The lobby is a shared space with a limited capacity; therefore it should not be used as a space for play dates or meetings. To allow us to manage crowding, we generally ask guests to arrive no more than 15 minutes before the beginning of a program/activity and to exit the Dance Center within 15 minutes of the end of a program/activity.
- Noise level should be kept to a respectable volume. If music played within a studio can be heard outside of that studio, the occupant may be asked to reduce their volume.
- Please keep pathways clear. Hallways, doorways and access points must remain clear of obstruction at all times.
- Personal items left unclaimed will be discarded or placed in Lost & Found at the end of each day. Visit the Front Desk to inquire about lost items. Items left for more than 30 days will be donated.
- The following are prohibited within the Dance Center:
- Smoking and vaping.
- Firearms or weapons or any kind. The Mark Morris Dance Center is a gun free esta
- Certified Service Animals are welcome.
- Bike, e-bike and e-scooter parking. There are several bike racks on the sidewalk in front of the Dance Center for outdoor parking. Unmonitored scooter and stroller parking is permitted in a designated area within the ground floor lobby.
- The following are prohibited within the studios:
- Food and drink (other than water)
- Stiletto heels and shoes that are worn outside
- Most types of tape, including masking and duct tape (only spike tape is permitted)
- Glitter and rosin
- Open flame, such as candles or incense
The information shared on this page is non-exhaustive. Guests are required to adhere to these expectations in addition to program-specific policies laid out by the School, Adult Programs, Dance for PD, and Rentals.
Health and Safety
To ensure a safe environment, surveillance cameras and lights are located at both our front entrance on Lafayette Avenue and our side exit on Rockwell Place. Access to the Dance Center is controlled by unlocking the interior doors only after an individual has checked in. Front facing staff trained in fire safety and emergency procedures are available to field questions and assist with an emergency during all operating hours.
MMDG continues to closely monitor applicable health and safety directives and guidance. Please check our Health & Safety Updates page for updates before your visit. Requirements vary by activity. The Mark Morris Dance Group (MMDG) health and safety policies are subject to change at any time.
Dance Center Accessbility
Please find a list We are focused on expanding accessibility at the Dance Center and know this list is in no way comprehensive. If you require a specific accommodation, please call the Dance Center at 718-624-8400 or email email@example.com for assistance.
- The facility includes ramps, an elevator, and bathrooms on all floors.
- Both sets of front doors to the Dance Center are automated.
- Braille is included on the buttons within the elevator and on each floor.
- The Dance Center is wheelchair accessible with all-gender, single-stall restrooms equipped with changing tables available on the 1st and 4th floors.
- There are private all-gender changing rooms in the back of the ground floor.
- The 4th floor terrace is not wheelchair accessible.
- Certified Service Animals are welcome. Pets are not permitted at the Dance Center.
- The Dance Center provides access to a Wi-Fi network for Dance Center occupants.
- Studio accessibility
- Visitors can access all studios by elevator. All studios have ramps to the entrance of the studio.
- Studio F (basement level studio) is accessible by stairs or elevator, but elevator access requires an escort via a private section of the basement.
- There are LED lights in Studios E and F. All other studios use fluorescent lighting.
- The door to Studio E is automated.
2, 3, 4, 5, trains to Nevins St.
B, Q trains to Atlantic Avenue
C train to Lafayette Avenue
A train to Hoyt-Schermerhorn
G train to Fulton St.
D, N, R, 2, 3, 4, 5 trains to Pacific/Atlantic Terminal
B41, B45, or B67 bus to Atlantic Terminal
B38 to Long Island University
B52 to Fulton Street and Flatbush Ave.
LIRR to Atlantic Terminal
from Long Island/Queens
From Long Island, take I495 WEST (L.I.E.) to I-278 West/Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (B.QE.). From there (and from Queens) take the I278/BQE to Exit 29, Tillary Street. Take Tillary Street to Flatbush Avenue, Left onto Flatbush Avenue. Left onto Lafayette. The Mark Morris Dance Center is immediately on your left.
from New Jersey/Staten Island
From the Verrazano Bridge merge into I-278 East/Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. On I-278/BQE take Exit 27, Atlantic Avenue. Proceed east on Atlantic and turn left at Boerum Place. Turn right at Livingston Street. Livingston Street ends at Flatbush Avenue Extension. Turn right onto Flatbush Avenue Ext. Make the next left onto Lafayette Avenue. The Dance Center is immediately on your left.
via Manhattan Bridge
Continue straight off the Bridge onto Flatbush Avenue Extension. Make a left onto Lafayette Avenue. The Dance Center is immediately on your left.
via Brooklyn Bridge
Make left at end of bridge onto Tillary Street. From Tillary Street turn right onto Flatbush Avenue, from Flatbush make a left onto Lafayette Avenue. The Dance Center is immediately on your left.
The following garages are available for parking:
66 Rockwell Place
286 Ashland Pl
625 Atlantic Ave. (Enter at: 174 Ft. Greene Place)
556 State Street
276 Livingston Street
The Dance Center will be closed for on the following days:
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day – Monday, January 16, 2023
- Saturday before Memorial Day – Saturday, May 27, 2023
- Memorial Day (adjusted hours) – Monday, May 29, 2023 | Dance Center will be open 10am-2pm
- Juneteenth – Monday, June 19, 2023
- Independence Day – Tuesday, July 4, 2023
- Saturday before Labor Day – Saturday, September 2, 2023
- Labor Day – Monday, September 4, 2023
- Indigenous Peoples’ Day – Monday, October 9, 2023
- Thanksgiving Break – Thursday November 23 – Saturday November 25, 2023
- Winter Break – Saturday December 23, 2023 – Monday, January 1, 2024
General questions- email firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about The School (Children and Teens Programs) – email email@example.com.
Questions about Adult Programs – email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Community Education Programs – email email@example.com
Questions about Rentals – email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Call us at 718.624.8400
View our staff list, learn more about career opportunities, and connect with us on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.
Feedback from our visitors about their Dance Center experience is always appreciated. If you would like to tell us about your experience, please fill out our Visitor Experience Feedback Form.
Request a donation
The Mark Morris Dance Group supports local schools and nonprofits with in-kind donations of classes or other items for auctions or fundraising benefits. Please complete our short questionnaire so we can best support your request.
Lost and Found
Personal items left unclaimed will be discarded or placed in Lost & Found at the end of each day. Visit the Front Desk to inquire about lost items. Items left for more than 30 days will be donated.