Invest in your future as a dance educator.
The Teaching Artist Training Program application is now accepting applicants for Spring 2021 and will be open through December 4, 2020. If you have questions about the program and/or applying to the next session, please contact Alex Cook at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This comprehensive 16-week program provides a robust opportunity to work within the unique teaching methodology at the Mark Morris Dance Center and build formal teaching practices, whether you’re coming straight out of a university program or a professional performing career.
- Explore core curricular structure and get hands on training in its application to both inclusive and adaptive classroom settings.
- Learn MMDG’s pedagogical methodologies of music prioritization and artistic excellence in a recreational environment
- Attend classes, lectures, and idea shares
- Observe and assist in classes, practice teaching, receive feedback
- Have access to an Advisor Group of lead teaching artists at the Mark Morris Dance Center
- Network with the professionals of MMDG’s Education programs
- Have access to employment opportunities at the Dance Center
- Get priority consideration as Assistant Teaching Artists in The School and Community Education programs (based on availability)
- Receive a Teaching Artist Certification from Mark Morris Dance Group
Only 10 participants are accepted per program.
Online learning has become an important tool in the 21st century. While we anticipate that by February 2021 (if it is deemed safe) we may welcome our students in The School at the Mark Morris Dance Center back into the studios, trainees will participate in the Teaching Artist Training Program both online and, when appropriate, in person.
Artists of any race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status should apply.
- Free technique classes in the Adult Program at the Mark Morris Dance Center during the term of the program
- Professional Development workshops in Classroom Management, Curriculum Mapping, Lesson Planning, Music and Dance: Composition, Working with a Musician, and more!
- Lesson observation in The School at the Mark Morris Dance Center and Community Education Programs
- Cohort discussions about prevalent topics in the field
- Hands-on teaching practice
- Advisor access and feedback
- Resume Review
- Recommendation letters from Mark Morris Dance Group Education staff
- Potential opportunity as an Assistant Teaching Artist in Winter/Spring/Summer Break Dance Camps (January/April)
- Opt-in participation in the Annual Teaching Artist Audition (February/March)
- Network building
Please provide with your application:
- Resume detailing your teaching, dancing, work, and academic experience.
- Cover letter outlining how the Teaching Artist Training Program at Mark Morris Dance Center will further your interests and career.
- A letter of recommendation
*Scholarship opportunities are available to qualifying applicants. Submit a scholarship application.
Trainees who are accepted into the program and make a 1st payment, but who cancel prior to orientation, will receive a refund, less a $25 registration fee. Trainees who are accepted into the program and begin attending will not receive a refund for any payments they have already submitted. Payment plans are available upon request.